Re: Obsoleting unmaintained targets

chewbaccathewookie@att.net wrote:
Hello from Gregg C Levine
Actually yes. I see a need for the Big Foot one, thats i370, and the Intel i960. For example for the i960 I do have a processor here, been shopping for a board for it, for a while now. As for the i370 one, isn't that the core for building s/390 based kernel? There should be one for i390 instead then.

The i960 gcc port has been broken for about 3 and a half years now, and the gdb support has already been deleted. Maintaining a compiler port is a lot of work. It isn't practical for us to maintain the port for one person who has one processor. You can try using a gcc-2.x compiler for i960 work. It should work fine. It just won't have all of the new gcc features. There are also binaries for a modified gcc toolchain available for download from the Intel web site. (Or at least there used to be.)

There are i370 and s390 ports. The i370 has been unmaintained for a long time. The s390 port is the one that is used to build the s390 toolchains. It is not affected by this change.