Re: Should -fcross-jumping be part of -O1?

Gareth McCaughan <gmccaughan@synaptics-uk.com>:
>     gcc ..... -Ospeed=3 -Ospace=1 -Odebug=0 -Ocompiletime=0

I think anyone who cares about such fine distinctions is going to
end up playing around with -f/-m flags anyway.  I don't see much
benefit to having the compiler make promises like that.  every
combination will have to be checked to make sure it acts
sensibly, for all targets.  as a user, I'd rather have just a few
canned options that are pretty well-tuned, and good documentation
of the tradeoffs (speed/space/debug/compiletime) for all the
various -f/-m flags.