Re: Will tree-ssa be GCC 3.5?

kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) writes:

> We don't yet know that it will be *replacing* anything.  For the moment,
> it'll be adding a new class of optimizations.

This strikes me as disingenuous.  The people working on the tree-ssa
project have clearly and repeatedly stated their intention to replace
several (perhaps most) of the RTL optimizers.  That this has not
happened yet merely indicates that the project is not done yet.

> Historically, that will cause yet more programs that don't quite
> meet the standard to malfunction (just like -fstrict-aliasing).  I
> think it's unrealistic that this large a change won't have
> user-visible effect.

This, I grant.  However, without concrete examples of such issues we
cannot tell how much of a problem it will be, and I see no reason to
assume the problems will be widespread or severe.

zw