Re: Will tree-ssa be GCC 3.5?

It is not a research project. Will you stop claiming that all the time, your remarks damage the credibility of the project. Do you really believe that so many work full time on research projects?

I think Richard uses the term research project as we would use it internally at ACT, to refer to a project that is developing new technology intended to become part of the deployed product, but not there yet. So perhaps you are over-reacting here.

Just because Ada hasn't caught up with the rest of GCC doesn't mean that the work done for other languages is not intended for a production environment.

The GNAT front end will likely move in this direction, but it is impossible to give time scales for that right now, since it very much depends on priorities of our customers. I certainly think it is desirable if the tree-ssa work develops successfuly enough to be part of the mainline GCC.

By the way, I don't see it as such a big deal if this means that GNAT is in a situation temporarily of not working with the head. This is likely to be corrected in a reasonable time anyway. I don't think that should be a determining factor in the development. If tree-ssa clearly shows an advantage for C and C++, I would go ahead and deploy it ASAP, and let other languages follow at their leisure, or faster if someone is interested enough!