Re: Will tree-ssa be GCC 3.5?

Robert Dewar wrote:
You will find that the "free software community" is quite prepared to
 be very definite about schedules and plans if you pay appropriately.
If you are in the business of making a living off using software, and
you need it on specific schedules, you have to be willing to pay (or
do the work yourself). You can't have it both ways!

I most certainly agree, which is why I'm trying to convince someone who *has* money that gfortran is worthy of support.

The group in question (the U.S. National Laboratories) has discussed plans for investing substantial sums in creating a free-as-in-liberty Fortran 95 compiler, under their impression that g95/gfortran is inadequate. I must improve their opinion of gfortran (and other issues) if the funds are to aid GCC and not some other project.

It's a catch-22: People are unlikely to spend money on a project (free
or not) if they don't expect success -- and success can only come if the
project has sufficient support. If the National Labs do not believe gfortran is viable, they will look elsewhere. I'm just glad Toon Moene ran across their littel study document.

For further information, you can peruse recent discussions on the
gfortran mailing list and comp.lang.fortran newsgroup.

For my part, I can only afford to contribute to projects like GCC if
someone pays me to do so. I've got a rather large menagerie to feed...
;) I'm just a simple programmer trying to make his way in the universe.

No one is going to give you a definite commitment on this if you are just looking for zero cost software I suspect.

Don't be so presumptive. I own commercial compilers, so the existence of gfortran is a matter of academic interest for me, personally. I'm trying to get information that will help me help GCC; I don't see why that should offend you.

--
Scott Robert Ladd