Re: Will tree-ssa be GCC 3.5?

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 19:56, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
> Mark Mitchell wrote:
> > There is no way to know for sure.
>
> I was hoping for a rational guesstimate. GCC is the heart of the free
> software canon; I see no point in writing free software if you can't
> build it with a free compiler and libraries. A general sense of "when"
> is important -- hence my question.

Sure.

For tree-ssa, I don't think anybody really knows.  I certainly don't.
Jeff/Jason/Vlad/etc. might -- but I don't think anybody really knows
quite how much more there is to do, or how much debugging lies ahead.

I think it's clear that tree-ssa is going to be part of an official
release of GCC at some point -- it's just not clear when.

> Where should people focus their efforts? For example, I don't see much
> point in working on g77 given its ultimate replacement by gfortran.

Me neither.  I would certainly expect gfortran to be more likely to
become a Fortran 95 compiler than G77.

--
Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
CodeSourcery, LLC