Re: Will tree-ssa be GCC 3.5?

Mark Mitchell wrote:
There is no way to know for sure.

I was hoping for a rational guesstimate. GCC is the heart of the free software canon; I see no point in writing free software if you can't build it with a free compiler and libraries. A general sense of "when" is important -- hence my question.

The free software community has the luxury of being somewhat relaxed about schedules and plans -- unfortunately, that luxury is not available to people whose incomes rely on software. I've become keenly aware of this recently with my own small efforts...

I am hoping tree-ssa will be ready for inclusion after 3.4 -- but we'll
have to see what the world looks like when we get to that point.  We
don't know when 3.4 will be out yet, and we don't know how much progress
tree-ssa will make.

I've been under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that development of tree-ssa is parallel to that of 3.4. Certainly, there are significant associations between the two releases (bug fixes, for one) -- but tree-ssa appears rather divergent to my eyes, providing some much-needed enhancements to GCC.

Of course, I could be wrong in assuming that tree-ssa is assured of release -- outside the GCC community, there exists much confusion about the state and "reality" of gfortran.

Where should people focus their efforts? For example, I don't see much point in working on g77 given its ultimate replacement by gfortran.

Later in this thread, there's lots of discussion about whether to call
tree-ssa GCC 4.  I'm not terribly interested in that issue; it probably
has more of a "marketing" impact than anything else.  I don't see a
reason to do that, though.

I couldn't care less; like most threads, some people wandered off a bit. The important questions is: Is tree-ssa going to attain "official" status, and if so, what is its likely release? 2004? 2005? After Longhorn? ;)

--
Scott Robert Ladd