Re: Extension of the CSiBE benchmark

Arpad Beszedes wrote:

Dear all,

Inspired by a very positive feedback from the community, we would like to make the CSiBE benchmark for code size (http://sed.inf.u-szeged.hu/csibe/) even more useful by extending its test bed. It is very important the test bed to be representative and contains examples of various fields such as ingeger, floating point, mobile, network, embedded applications and even system code such as kernel modules.

For this, we are seeking for your help: what kind of applications, code snippets, modules, ... would you suggest? The test bed currently includes some media applications, complex integer- and control-compuation applications, text and data manipulation programs, etc. Currently the total size is about 1.2M (binary).

We are planning to add some network protocol implementations such as tcp/ip and parts of the linux kernel. Do you have some ideas on exactly which source code parts would be useful for this purpose? And what kind of other example programs would you like to see?
Please bear in mind that the example programs should compile for all supported targets (arm, i386, m68k, mips, ppc).

You could use pieces of RTEMS or all of it. The code executive portion is intended to be very lean
99% C which depends upon inline assembly to touch HW and inline functions instead of macros. It
includes a port of the FreeBSD TCP/IP stack.

We also have some test programs which seem to map from a code size perspective onto what I
would think of as baselines for user applications. For example, one just starts and sysem and
shuts down (no printf) while the next does a printf so you can see the impact of doing that on
code size. Another set show various networking configurations -- basic, with httpd, with ftpd.

Thank you for you help. All suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Best regards,
  Arpad Beszedes

--joel sherrill