Re: CVS add question...

David Daney <ddaney@avtrex.com> writes:

> The cvs docs say that the results of a cvs add are not reflected in
> the repository until committed.
>
> Q1: Is this true?

Yes, except for new directories.  That is, a `cvs add' of a new file
does nothing to the repository until you run `cvs commit'.  A `cvs
add' of a new directory takes effect immediately.  But you should not
normally want to add a new directory to gcc, unless you are adding a
new port or language.

> Q2: Is there some reason that I should not add things to cvs without
> authorization?

You can use `cvs add' of a file any time you like.  Don't use `cvs
commit' without authorization.

> Q3: If I should not do the adds, how best to generate a diff for review?

You can use `cvs add'.  To generate diffs for new files, use the -N
option to `cvs diff'.

Ian