Re: Proposed targets to deprecate for 3.4

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Hans-Peter Nilsson <hp@bitrange.com> writes:
> > g       Port does not define TARGET_ASM_FUNCTION_(PRO|EPI)LOGUE.
> >
> > See mmix.c.
>
> There has got to be a better way to do that.

Perhaps a (new) TARGET_ASM_FUNCTION_BEGIN_PROLOGUE?  If you're
opposed to TARGET_ASM_FUNCTION_END_PROLOGUE, look at alpha.
Hmm, maybe both uses could be replaced with unspec_volatile
insns.  Can the scheduler still move insns past an
unspec_volatile?

> Incidentally, must we have eval: (c-set-style "gnu") at the bottom of
> files?  It just makes emacs slow to visit them (since it has to pause
> and show the eval: to the user).

I think of that eval as a convenience.  Maybe it isn't, and I
should fold chosing the mode into code in a mode-hook that looks
at the directory context.  Do you visit those files often?

> > These would be nice to have in simtest-howto.html, but without
> > any interpretation of value.
>
> Patches are welcome.

Yes they are. :-)

> >> l       Port can use ILP32 mode integer arithmetic.
> >> q       Port can use LP64 mode integer arithmetic.
> >
> > Aren't those two exclusive in a "non-r" port?
>
> No.  They might be switchable at compile time only.

Oh, right, you're picking on the CPU part of the ports, not the
port as a whole.  Gotcha.

brgds, H-P