Re: Disabling fixproto: OS-less embedded targets?

>> or are using a C89-compliant library,
>Hmm, this sounds overly simplistic to me. You should be aware that
>embedded GCCs in most cases will be cross-toolchains:
>
>* People often regard "gcc" as secondary toolchain to vendor toolchains
>and will be trying to use the vendor toolchain's libc.
>
>* Another kind of situation when people start using gcc for embedded
>systems is a vendor not providing toolchains for a user's host
>environment (Many vendors don't provide cross-toolchains for non-M$
>systems).
>
>As vendor cross-toolchain target libc are host independent, people will
>be trying to use these vendor libcs with gcc.
>
>As gcc has no control about these vendor libcs, any assumption on C89
>compliance would be a "wild guess".

It's been 14 *years* since ANSI C came out.  Fixproto is designed to
convert K&R-style (prototype-free) headers to C89 (prototype-present)
headers.  If vendors are still supplying headers without prototypes,
nobody should be having anything to do with them....

>>  or can fend for themselves.
>Are you trying to say that you are wanting to give up the amount
>generality fixproto has tried to provide?
Um, yes?  :-)

>> Is this reasonable?  (These are all -elf, -coff, or -aout targets.)
>I don't think so.
Well, I won't do it this release cycle, then.  :-)

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden at gcc.gnu.org>
http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html