RE: Optimising redundant compares

After playing around for a while, it would appear that if I use a hard
register, then GCC will not attempt to optimise the compare
instructions. However, if I use a pseudo it will, but it will also try
lots more optimisations that would mean I have to write rules for
spilling and restoring the CC reg which I don't want to do at this point
in time. Does this sound correct?

Cheers,
Jon