Re: PR optimization/9786

On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 08:28 PM, John David Anglin wrote:
Is it ok to delete a no-op insn that can trap?

The question is simple, but probably not specific enough. As it stands,
the answer is probably no. But, in reading the referenced message, it
sounds like we know that the no-op doesn't trap, and therefore, we can
change it, optimize it based on the knowledge that it doesn't trap and
therefore, delete it.

What about an unnecessary PIC symbol reference accessed through the got?

What about it? If a program behaves as if it obeys the require semantics, then we can do it, and if it doesn't, we can't. Offhand, this case sounds like a, no, we can optimize it out. A pic/got expert might be able to counter, with a, no we can't because of _insert really obscure stuff here_. The type of possible rant would be, no, we can't optimize it out, as otherwise the on-demand load of the library would not happen, and the ctor firing would be wrong for this class of lazy libraries... :-( Ick! I'd say, but, if that is how the _target_ is defined... Well, they can make weird valuations like this, and we'd just put it in as conditional on the target bit, if, all targets didn't want this. In the end, you see this can be extremely target dependent, if knowledgeable experts tell us it is.

I'm not trying to claim I'm an expert at _name of favorite obscure system that would render wrong, any general statement about the topic_ type of system. They can speak up, as code that might violate their notion of the world is put in.

I don't I understand the rules for -fnon-call-exceptions.  On
the PA the rules for the trapping of floating point instructions are
very complex.  A symbol reference via the reference shouldn't normally
trap but almost any instruction can trap if there is a system TLB

Isn't think exactly like saying that any instruction can trap, when we have a system that does asynchronous process scheduling and we can issue an event (signal in UNIX for example) from another process? If so, then what you say it true, in spite of, not because of the TLB. TLBs happen under the hood, and don't usually inject into the abstract machine model for the compiler (or languages the compilers target), so they are as if they didn't exist at all. In the case of -non-call-expcetions, there are only two things that _trap_, memory load or store because the data at the address hasn't been allocated to the process, and (waving hand) floating point. No one claims a TLB miss interacts with or does anything special with -non-call-exceptions. In fact, they specifically disclaim all traps, except for a small class of interesting traps. Presumably, you can read the Java spec and get a very good definition of exactly what can trap and why and how and what can't, I think it was put in for them.

or in the case a problem with the got pointer.

If it is because the object fetched or stored isn't mapped into the virtual address space of the process, then yes, otherwise no.

We emit a lot of insns in the initial rtl generation that we wouldn't
emit if we were smarter.  The current rules say an insn that loads
a symbol reference containing an unspec in a MEM may trap, so it can't
be deleted.  On the otherhand, the insn may be logically unnecessary to
the behavior of the code and probably didn't have to be emitted in
the first place.  So, where do we draw the line in optimizing rtl?

When it doesn't behave as if it met the required semantics of the abstract machine model of the language. You should feel exactly like I dodged the question, that was intentional. We, the gcc developers, are expected to know the as if rule, and the required semantics of the abstract machine model of all of our languages. Ok, stop laughing now... Or, at least, we have to be able to ask Kenner about the fine points of what Ada expects out of some obscure corner of the gcc backend semantic landscape.

The gcc abstract model was exactly the C model, but as other languages come under the gcc umbrella, we have to enhance, extend, and more fully specify exactly those semantics required by the language standard upon the gcc constructs, and when that is at odds with existing uses, to split or extends the constructs with the required semantic bits.

So, for example, if there is a language that allows a user to write:

	{ id object;
       try {
	     object = 1;
	  } catch (got_bits_smashed_in (object)) { ... }
     }

and this language is added to gcc, then we'd have to find a way to express the notion of a symbol that uses got bits to the optimizer and then, for it, for that language, we could not just delete the no-op that plays with the got bits, as the language is defined to require a transfer of control to the exception handler in that case.