Re: Apple's -fast option for gcc

On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 12:34 PM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| -fstrict-aliasing
| -frelax-aliasing

what are the relations between the two, and -fno-strict-aliasing?

Incestuous. strict is at one end of a continuum, no-strict is at the other. And in-between, where bad code and benchmark code lies, is where relaxed fits in. It is the mind reader that knows what they meant, and does the right think anyway, even though the code is wrong.

If you want a better answer, you should be able to grab gcc from the apple cvs server and grep relax | grep -i 'apple local' and get hits on all the relevant code. Roughly, think about field offsets and structures types...

Oh course, I could have it totally wrong, I didn't write the code!