Re: A user's experiences with GCC-3.4 snapshots

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Art Haas wrote:

> Parrot: GCC-3.4 has a _huge_ slowdown in compiling the 'core_ops_cg.c'
> file - a C file with a large number of computed goto statements. In
> GCC-3.2 this file compiled but required a huge amount of memory. GCC-3.3
> fixed both of these shortcomings in 3.2 - the file compiled much more
> quickly and with significantly less memory. GCC-3.4 has regressed
> time-wise though, as the file now takes 5x or 6x as long to compile as
> it does with GCC-3.3. There is also a compiler error generated when the
> /usr/include/bits/mathinline.h file gets included, but I've lost my
> build log with the error message. Grrr ...

Something like:

/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h: In member function `void FixedBase::adjust(Boolean)':
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h:429: error: can't find a register in class `FP_TOP_REG' while reloading `asm'

?

If so, then I have also hit this issue with MICO (http://www.mico.org).
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-09/msg00192.html

In addition, I think there is also memory consumption regression during
compilation of some C++ code in gcc3.4. For example compiling file
mico/orb/dii.cc from MICO, compiler consumes about 300MB of RAM while gcc
3.2-3.x was enough with 80-130 MB IIRC.

Cheers,

Karel
--