Re: Patch to decl2.c

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 13:10, David Edelsohn wrote:
> Mark,
>
> 	Geoff's patch also fixed bootstrap on a small memory AIX system.
> Richard's patch had no effect.
>
> 	If you want to change the patch, fine, but it is unacceptable to
> have the regression testers fail for such a long time.  In fact, we now
> have a large number of new failures that occurred during the period when
> GCC could not bootstrap on these systems and no easy way of pinpointing
> the cause.  These are regressions that will have to be fixed before GCC
> 3.4 is released.

It's certainly good to have fixed the bootstrap.

I think this conversation is redundant in that Richard's new patch
(being tested now) makes sense to me, and will not have the downsides
that I complained about.  So, I think we're making progress in a
sensible way.

However, if Richard's patch doesn't work for some reason, I would not
simply revert Geoff's patch.  As you say, that would break the
bootstrap.  Instead, I would revert both Geoff's patch and the previous
patches that caused the failures; Geoff's patch *itself* introduces
regressions, albeit of a more mild form.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC