Re: [using gcc book] ch1 rewrite

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Chris Devers <cdevers@pobox.com> writes:
>
> I didn't mean to strike out the first two sentences, just to replace
> the last one with the above.

Ahh... :)

> It's "... defined generically for the compiler collection as a whole
> ..." that I find awkward.  How about just this:
>
> >   The abbreviation @dfn{GCC} has multiple meanings in common use.
> >   The current official meaning is ``GNU Compiler Collection'', which
> >   refers generically to the complete suite of tools.  The name
> >   historically stood for ``GNU C Compiler'', and this usage is still
> >   common when the emphasis is on compiling C programs.  Finally, the
> >   name is also used when speaking of the @dfn{language-independent}
> >   component of GCC: code shared among the compilers for all
> >   supported languages.

Good enough.

This change has been made, and a new PDF generated:

http://devers.homeip.net:8080/gccbook/edited/gcc_chd.20030902.155507.pdf

--
Chris Devers cdevers@pobox.com
http://devers.homeip.net:8080/

worst-case design, n.
The one delivered.

    -- from _The Computer Contradictionary_, Stan Kelly-Bootle, 1995