Re: On inlining in C++ with unit-at-a-time code

Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com> writes:

> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Jan Hubicka wrote:
>> I hope we can enable unit-at-a-time at -O2 by default and solve the
>> problem in easy way.  In SuSE we are experimentally building the
>> distribution with it and now all problems directly attributable to
>> unit-at-a-time seems to be gone.
>
> Well, if you can build an entire distribution without problems, that
> certainly looks good enough.

We still have one failure in C++ that Honza will look at before we can
declare "it builds an entire distribution".

But other than that, it looks really good.  We just had to change half
a dozen packages were we had to add an attribute ((used)) since
functions/variables where used only via inline assembly.  And we
tested on x86, x86-64, ia64 and ppc.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@suse.de, http://www.suse.de/~aj
  SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, 90429 Nürnberg, Germany