Re: PCH magic numbers

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:02:46AM -0700, Geoff Keating wrote:

> The characters aren't interpreted.  Their only purpose is to prevent
> GCC executable A from trying to read a PCH file created by a different
> GCC executable B.  They don't do a very good job, for instance, they
> don't prevent a 64-bit-hosted version of GCC from trying to read a PCH
> created by a 32-bit-hosted version of GCC; in future, I hope to do
> this better, if for no other reason than to provide better error
> messages, but at least what's there now is better than nothing and is
> extendable in future.

That was the impression I got looking over the source, but wasn't sure.
Thanks for clarifying!

I've written a magic file for PCH, and wanted to make sure I wasn't doing
anything fantastically moronic:

    fenric 10% file stdc++.h.gch
    stdc++.h.gch: GCC precompiled header (version 011) for C++
    fenric 11%

Phil

by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan