Re: std::pow implementation

Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> writes:

| On Jul 30, 2003, Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@integrable-solutions.net> wrote:
|
| > But the fact is that the compiler is not doing better by going its own
| > programmed logic.  We've not reached the same level of sophistication
| > as for register allocation.
|
| And your solution for the problem is to dumb it down further such that
| it doesn't even attempt to do a good job?

I'm not proposing to dumb it further.
In fact, people like you who make bogus quote of the standard to claim
that inline is implicit in C++ have already push the compiler to its
dumbest state.  Their transmuting of "inline" does not leave room for
going dumb further.

In effect, I'm proposing to return to first principles where the C++
programmer is trusted, is listened to, not treated by the software
as a dumb person unable to make sensible decisions.

When, the programmed logic of your inliner will reach the
sophisticated level comparable to that of automatic register
allocation, then you will have evidence to have your software not to
trust the programmer.   But, *now*, we're far from that level.
It is refusing acknowledgment of that simple fact that is driving the
compiler straight into wall.

-- Gaby