Re: Request for Assistance: GCC 3.3.1 Code-Gen Problems

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 05:45:02PM +0200, Eric Botcazou wrote:

> export CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/ksh
> $(srcdir)/configure
> gmake bootstrap
> gmake install

Found the problem:  shell+make+libtool subtle interactions on the topic
of exported variables.

    CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/ksh srcdir/configure
    CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/ksh gmake bootstrap
    gmake install

The first sequence works.  The second results in the duplicated "/bin/ksh"
that's been plaguing me.  The reporter for 11273 doesn't say how he inserted
CONFIG_SHELL into the environment, but he had the identical error, so I'll
bet that he used a sequence similar to the second one.

If you're thinking to yourself, "huh?, CONFIG_SHELL is only remembered
in the config.status files, not the Makefiles.  CONFIG_SHELL sets SHELL
in the Makefiles.  The value of CONFIG_STATUS shouldn't matter during
installation," well, you're correct.  CONFIG_SHELL isn't mentioned in the
target libraries' Makefiles, only SHELL.

Nevertheless, the second sequence gives me duplicated "/bin/ksh" entries.

The second sequence also used to *work*, because it's what was used to
install 3.0.2 on this machine.

1)  So, no showstopper bug.  YAY!
2)  Possibly this should be added to the documentation.

Phil