Re: 3.3 problem of -fzero-initialized-in-bss w/-ffreestanding

Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> writes:

> I disagree that it should never have gotten into GCC 3.3; emacs has no
> right to make random assumptions about memory layout, and should expect
> to break regularly with new versions of GCC as long as it has such
> assumptions.  As long as 'temacs' (emacs before the
> create-executable-from-memory-image stuff) works perfectly, I think
> we're doing our job.  As a matter of fact, the emacs manual documents
> that the create-executable-from-memory-image stuff may not work, and
> explains how to use temacs directly.

XEmacs seems to be switching over to creating a file which is then memory
mapped at run time, which I think is the right solution.  Maybe Emacs will
move in the same direction.

This reminds me of the old days of TeX.  TeX also switched over to
creating a file that was loaded at runtime rather than dumping an
executable.  Perl dropped its support for undump.  In general, it's just
not a good idea and it tends to be extremely fragile; these days, other
techniques are fast enough that it's not worth it.