Re: starting compile server - advice needed

On Monday, Jul 14, 2003, at 15:39 US/Pacific, Matt Austern wrote:

On Friday, July 11, 2003, at 04:26 PM, Per Bothner wrote:

Should we autostart the server?

That is the question I asked. (I mainly asked *how*, but I also asked "should we".)

I'd vote no. It's easy enough for people who want to use this feature to modify their makefiles, and a project maintainer understands lifetime issues better than compiler heuristics can.

I'd vote yes. :-( (I'm assuming that "autostarting" refers to starting up the server if it's not running already.) I think making the compile server as transparent to the user as possible would be a win. Also, any server parameters (whether to start the server, how long it should stay up, etc.) should be controlled by a few (no more than 2 or 3) environment variables.

If we force users to tweak their makefiles to take advantage of the compile server, I suspect that might lead to confusion that will easily dwarf the current PCH debacle. :-(

As always, my 2 zlotys...

--Zem

I'd also vote for allowing users to start up multiple, named servers. One major worry, if we don't do that, is that we might have several projects trying to use servers at the same time. Unless we're trying to make gcc reentrant (yikes!), that'll mean locking and contention, and it could end up hurting performance more than it helps.

--Matt

Ziemowit Laski                 1 Infinite Loop, MS 301-2K
Mac OS X Compiler Group        Cupertino, CA USA  95014-2083
Apple Computer, Inc.           +1.408.974.6229  Fax .5477