Re: removing old snapshot CVS tags? (was: gcc_latest_snapshot CVS tag)

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 02:27:34PM -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 07:10:34PM +0100, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>>
>> > Frankly, I don't think that's worth it.  We are talking about snapshot
>> > tags only, not even pre-releases or some-such, and I completely fail to
>> > see the benefit of keeping this bit of history.
>>
>> annual volumes) that I'm loth to consider that the publications in
>> question here - snapshot tags - should be considered now to be of only
>> ephemeral use.
>
>Keeping a snapshot of the whole repository isn't a bad idea, if only for
>backup's sake.
>
>But I can't accept that CVS access should be consistently and constantly
>getting slower and slower for the sake of hypothetical future sociological
>research.  The extra tags are bogging things down, and while yes, it would be
>great to improve CVS or replace it, I honestly think that's just handwaving
>until the day arrives when such a suggestion is actually possible.  Sorry,
>nothing personal.

I'm glad I read further in this thread.  This is exactly the point I was
going to make.

I find it rather odd that we would even consider making CVS a nice place
for future hypothetical researchers at the potential expense of people
doing everyday development.