Re: ObjC improvements and ObjC++

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 10:51AM, Mark Mitchell wrote:

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 18:47, Stan Shebs wrote:
Now that Apple's developers are happily banging away on Panther
and Xcode and GCC 3.3, we have an opportunity to get local work
on Objective-C into FSF GCC 3.4, and to get started on Obj-C++
as well.

Thanks for presenting the plan!

The overall plan makes sense to me -- but I don't think 3.4 is a
realistic target.  Stage 1 for GCC 3.4 is already closed, and this is
inevitably going to be a major change.  I'm also going to be staring at
the C++ changes very carefully before they go in; the basic "mutually
oblivious" strategy makes sense, but the devil is in those dang
details.  (Overload resolution for Objective-C classes?  Template
deduction?  Etc.)

Some of the details are tricky, yes. But just to state the obvious: we are not talking about extensions to C++, and we are not talking about changing the behavior of cc1plus. We're talking about a new front end. The ObjC++ work involves only minor changes to the "cp" directory, and none of those changes affect the behavior of cc1plus. (Yes, you should be skeptical of that last claim, and you should be watching very carefully to keep us honest!)

A pure extension seems like an unusually safe change.  I'm quite
convinced that this work won't cause any cc1objplus regressions!

--Matt