Re: ObjC improvements and ObjC++

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 08:00 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:

Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com> writes:

However, the local changes are lengthy and somewhat intertwined,
and it seems like excessive makework to try to separate and patch
them into the trunk one at a time; so I'd like to have a relatively
short-lived objc-improvements-branch to stage the changes, test
them away from Apple's other local changes and on other platforms,
with GNUstep, etc, and then move them into the trunk en masse. 99%
of the basic ObjC changes will be in gcc/objc; there are a couple
to generic C frontend code, and one dubious change to calls.c that
will need extra special attention.

This seems to me like a sensible plan.

Is there any hope of ObjC runtime unification, and of documenting the
ObjC ABI?

I think that would be ambitious for 3.4. Our main goal for 3.4 is to contribute Apple's changes to the general community. I think that's doable, but much more than that probably isn't.

I should mention, by the way, as someone who doesn't deal much with
ObjC++ other than in its impact to cc1plus: ObjC++ does involve a few
changes to the C++ front end, but they're very harmless changes.  (A
few functions renamed---that sort of thing.)  I don't think anyone is
going to mind the changes we need for ObjC++.

--Matt