Re: patch format

On Saturday, Jul 5, 2003, at 10:20 US/Eastern, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:

Hello,

I noticed the documentation still says the preferred format for patches
is "diff -cp3", but I see several postings on gcc-patches in unified
format (diff -up).

Since the latter is much more readable and more widely used in other
projects, I wanted to check if it's ok to use it despite what the
current documentation for contributions says.

The documentation talks about both formats <http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html>:
If you are accessing the CVS repository at gcc.gnu.org, use "cvs update; cvs diff -c3p"; <--- here
else, use "diff -c3p OLD NEW" or "diff -up OLD NEW". <--- here

I do not know which format is the recommended one but I always sent the patch
in unified format as it is more readable with respect what is going one to me.

Thanks, Andrew Pinski