Re: Mainline snapshots

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Ranjit Mathew wrote:
>> If all goes well, I plan to continue releasing snapshots off the 3.3
>> branch on Mondays and to release snapshots off mainline on Wednesdays.
> Is there a particular reason for this? Or is it purely because you
> happen to have created the first mainline snapshot on a Wednesday? :-)

Actually, that was intentional, though also Thursday would have fit. :-)

> Wouldn't it be simpler and less cluttering to continue
> to have the current "Monday-dated" folders and
> "gcc-3_3-xxx" and "gcc-mainline-xxx" snapshot archives
> within them?

I originally thought about it, but...

> Or would it incur too much overhead at one go on the
> server rolling out these snapshots?

...this was one of the issues (though not a major one), others being the
load caused by and for mirror sites which is now spread more evenly.

Also, problems with CVS or the gcc_release script then would hose two
snapshots at once, while with the current setup there are (at least)
two days for repair and adjustments.

Finally, putting snapshots from two branches makes removing older
snapshots harder and the overall structure more complex, given that
I would like to retain the last n snapshots of every branch in the
future, as a service to users like the BSD port collections.

Of course, nothing is cast in stone, that's just my personal and
current point of view. ;-)

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald@pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/