Re: C++ demangler horrors

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 12:37:09AM +0200, Oscar Fuentes wrote:
> The real crux of this issue is that the demangler is targeted to
> binutils and gdb as well. People building those packages have
> good-knows-what C++ compiler, in the case they have a C++ compiler at
> all. My minivector and the demangler implementation are far from being
> "arcane" C++, but there are still too many broken compilers out there.
>
> Another issue is: what can I do when someone using the stock
> AIX/HPUX/Solaris/whatever C++ compiler reports a bug? I don't have
> every C++ compiler under the sun to test, nor I wish to test every
> past gcc release starting from the dark ages.
>
> A C++ demangler is ok for the GCC package, but a can of worms for
> binutils and gdb.

This is not relevant for the 'mini-vector'.  When the C++ compiler
can compile the demangle.h file (the demangler we are talking about)
then it *certainly* can compile the mini-vector.

Moreover, any compiler that can compile templates should be able
to compile this, or the compiler should be upgraded :/.  This is
why we have a C++ standard.

$0.02

--
Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com>