Re: RFA: Please review the new C++ demangler patch

"H. J. Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:

> I don't want to force the change of the build order between libiberty
> and libstdc++ in this patch. It may cause other problems.

So do it as a separate patch *first*.

> Besides a separate demangler directory/library is eaiser to maintain.

And this remove-and-replace tactic is asking for trouble - e.g. if
anyone ever decides to libtoolize libiberty.

You can have your own directory for the demangler, but then it has to
be built before libiberty and libiberty has to pick up the .o files.

>> and then we can GET RID OF the old demangler that doesn't work?
>
> Some people may not have C++ compiler. They can still use the old one.
> libiberty has never required a C++ compiler to compile.

If they don't have a C++ compiler they don't need a C++ demangler
either.

>> > We have done that, but in .o files. You can have use both the demangler
>> > in libiberty and the one in libstdc++ in the same program.
>>
>> Cleaner to do it at the source level, I think.
>
> It is very hard.

Getting things right is often hard.

zw