Re: cross-compilation documentation

Peter Barada wrote:
But this fragment *requires* a cross-compiler to build it.

Hmm. That's odd. I do almost the same thing, but I don't require a cross-compiler. Maybe the step you're missing is the following kludge: make sysdeps/gnu/errlist.c mkdir -p stdio-common touch stdio-common/errlist-compat.c That goes between the configure and the make of glibc, and keeps anything real from being compiled by the install-headers.

If that's in the source tree then its *really* a kludge and won't work
too well for me since I keep my source in a CVS controlled tree.

Well, yes, it is *really* a kludge. The cleaner way to approach that would be a patch the glibc's makefile to prevent the install-headers step from generating any .c files, by breaking that out into an install-generated-sources step, maybe.

I think the powers that be are suggesting that the fix for gcc-3.5
might be to separate out the building of libgcc from the building of
gcc.  Hmm, and then separate out the building of anything in glibc
that requires libgcc into a separate target.  Then we could do
  make bootstrap gcc without libgcc
  make whatever parts of glibc that don't depend on libgcc
  make real gcc including libgcc
  make whatever parts of glibc that depend on libgcc

That's what I described as *two* bootstrap compilers and *two* configure/builds of glibc...

No, it's a bit different. When they do this for 3.5, it'll be done cleanly, so you're really only building any particular part once (except for the bootstrap gcc, which is a duplication of the final gcc). - Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com