Re: cross-compilation documentation

On Sunday, Jun 22, 2003, at 12:31 US/Eastern, Dan Kegel wrote:

Jim Wilson wrote:
Dan Kegel wrote:
I understand that at the recent summit, cross-compilation
documentation was listed as being an item of high priority.
I've been working on this a bit; my current efforts are at
http://kegel.com/crosstool
This looks useful. It only covers the case where the target is GNU/Linux, but that is the case that is least well documented.

The Linux target is interesting because you can build absolutely everything from virgin source tarballs. It's a challenge, though: you have to install just the glibc headers so you can compile a bootstrap gcc so you can compile glibc so you can (finally!) compile gcc. That first step, installing bootstrap glibc headers, is a new and annoying prerequisite as of gcc-3.3. See http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2003-06/msg00170.html for my rant on the subject.

No you do not have install the headers because you can pass to gcc --without-headers and that will make sure that you do not compile the sources that require glibc's headers.

So total process is:
cd gccobjdir
.../gcc-sources/configure --without-headers --target=???-linux-gnu --prefix=??? --enable-languages=c
make
make install
cd glibcobjdir
.../glibc-sources/configure --target=???-linux-gnu --prefix=???
make
make install
cd gccobjdir
.../gcc-sources/configure --prefix=???