Re: some tree-ssa vs mainline stats

law@redhat.com wrote:

>Total number # of insns in .00.rtl >generate-3.4.ii SSA 417674
>generate-3.4.ii HEAD 728202
>combine.i SSA 41528
>combine.i HEAD 35524
I don't know if the reduction in insns for generate.ii is due to tree-ssa
optimizing better or doing something like not inlining as well. I tend to
suspect the latter as most of the time it tends to produce more insns
than without tree-ssa.

Hmmm how would that be? The inlining heuristics are completely fixed by the front end (via DECL_NUM_STMTS), so inlining on the tree-ssa branch should be exactly the same as on mainline (The only difference is that inline candidates can now have optimized function trees). So maybe the tree-ssa optimizers help reduce the number of insns in this case.

Gr.
Steven