building

Hi, I am trying to build gcc 3.3 on a linux redhat NFS environment.  The
machine I am trying to build on is a redhat 7.3 running on an athlon(mp), and
almost all of the NFS mounted software was built on 7.3 machines. The run
configure as folllows:"./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pkg/gcc/gcc-3.3".
While building gnu c compiler, it returns the following error:
Configuring gcc...
checking LIBRARY_PATH variable... ok
checking GCC_EXEC_PREFIX variable... ok
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... (cached) yes
checking for gnatbind... no
checking for compiler driver that understands Ada... no
checking whether gcc accepts -Wno-long-long... yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/local/bin/g++
checking for inline... (cached) inline
checking for volatile... yes
checking for long double... yes
checking for long long int... yes
checking for __int64... no
checking for built-in _Bool... yes
checking size of short... 2
checking size of int... 4
checking size of long... 4
checking size of long long... 8
checking execution character set... unknown
configure: error: *** Cannot determine host character set.
Configure in /usr/local/src/gcc/gcc-3.3/gcc failed, exiting.
what to do, please help.  Thanks in advance
--
Pete Greening
student system administrator