Re: Documenting tools necessary for GCC [draft]

[CC'ing Rob to confirm that this is DejaGNU regression in 1.4.2
fixed in 1.4.3]

>>>Ranjit ran into a bug in 1.4.2 preventing him from running the libgcj
>>>test suite.  This is in the quoted part of the message he linked to.
>>>Original report here:
>>>
>>>http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2003-06/msg00117.html
>>
>>So, I see two possibilities:
>>
>> a) require 1.4.1 or 1.4.3 (and later), or
>> b) require 1.4.3 (and later).
>>
>>I'll implement whatever you all agree on, but for the sake of simplicity
>>and because there probably _was_ a reason we currently have 1.4.2 listed
>>there, I'd prefer b).
>>
>>Is this fine with you (especially Joe)?
>

> Do we know whether 1.4.1 has the bug?  Is it only in 1.4.2?

In 1.4.2, the "FOO=BAR" parsing code in runtest.exp was
moved into the first pass through the command line but
was not taken care of in the second pass. This is what
causes the error. So both 1.4.1 and 1.4.3 are OK but not
1.4.2.

You can check if your (unpatched) version is OK by running

    runtest FOO=bar --version

This should set the Tcl variable FOO to bar and not
cause an error.

In fact this seems to be one of the more commonly
asked questions on the dejagnu lists:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/dejagnu/2002-04/msg00012.html
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-dejagnu/2002-04/msg00005.html
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-dejagnu/2002-09/msg00006.html

etc.

Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew          Email: rmathew AT hotmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.      Web: http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/