Re: Why does sparc build for you? or, why are make check results reported when it hasn't bootstrapped since May 5?

Jeff Sturm <jsturm@one-point.com> writes:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> > I meant: SPARC/Solaris would bootstrap more often if people commiting
> > destabilizing changes tested them on the platform. This is (almost) never the
> > case.
>
> Nice idea, difficult in practice.  I've tested patches on Solaris 8
> that break on 7, or work with GNU as/ld but break on native tools, or vice
> versa.  Then we still get bug reports for Solaris 2.6 or 2.5.1 users that
> I can't reproduce on my machines.
>
> For those and other reasons I find myself discouraged from testing on
> SPARC even though I have easy access to hardware.  Getting regular
> contributors to test on SPARC doesn't seem too realistic.
>
> Such is probably the case for most non-GNU platforms.

for testing, I have fine experiences with 'half-GNU' :
I once (more or less) install gmake, gperf, bison, sed
[, gas, gld if available ]
and keep some /usr/out-of-the-way/old-gcc for bootstrapping

Solaris 2.5.1 bootstraps most of the time (I cvs update every
10 days and do a make install in /usr/out-of-the-way/new-gcc
whenever make check pleases me ...)

FYI, Arno