Re: Optimizing for Low Power Consumption

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 06:06:54PM -0400, Christopher Wolff wrote:
> For instance, the instruction
>
> ADDD m     ; add to 16-bit register D
>
> will be more expensive than using the two instructions
>
> ADDB m+1   ; accumulators A & B are the high and low order bytes of D
> ADCA m     ; add with carry

The general rule for any processor is that it costs more energy to drive
signals off-chip, or even a long distance on the same chip; in particular,
memory reads are expensive.  Just bumping up penalties for going to memory
might help a good deal.

> Also, on the average, instructions using the B accumulator will consume
> less power than the A accumulator, except in Indexed X addessing mode.

Now *that* is something that I wouldn't have predicted.