Where 2 Find Info On Generating Assembly for OS?

Hi.
  I am thinking about creating a dummy programming
language and writing a compiler for it. While I am
aware of various parsers (e.g. yacc and javacc) and
the concept of assembly languages, doesn't generated
assembly code (e.g. address space used) have to fit
within the operating system's framework in addition to
the assembly spec of the cpu? So I'm trying to
understand how to go from a parsed languaged to
operating system dependent assembly code. Anyone know
where I can get started?

Thanks.