Re: [G95] Re: [tree-ssa] Integrating g95

On Sunday, Jun 1, 2003, at 15:15 America/New_York, Laurent GUERBY wrote:

Do we have way to measure / count how many target arithmetic operations
we do when compiling "typical" program?

The typical program doesn't really use floating-point at all. The issue is with those few programs/libraries with tons of computation in it. For Ada, there are some test cases that spend most of the compile time doing high-precision arithmetic to compute constants for polynomial approximations to functions.

Now of course, this is mostly because Ada requires calculations of
"static" expressions (subset of compile-time known expressions) to be
performed exactly.

However, if you are doing a lot of inlining and compile numerical code,
I wouldn't be surprised if you'd do a lot of target arithmetic and find
that for some programs the time required is significant.

-Geert