Re: RFC: Moving C to its own directory

Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com> writes:

> If we're willing to get a little underhanded, we can do the shuffling in
> the repository directory structure itself, i.e., cp/mv the foo,v files
> directly.

The huge problem with mv is that you break all your old tags and branches
that don't pick up the required changes to the Makefiles as well, so you
can no longer check out old versions.

cp avoids this, but has a different problem of giving you both the old and
the new locations when you check out an old version.  What you have to do
is cp the ,v files and then remove all the old tags from the new ,v files,
and then cvs remove all of the old files from the mainline.  It's messy,
ugly work with RCS file internals.