Re: http://g95.sourceforge.net or http://gcc-g95.sourceforge.net

on the front ends site is a link to http://g95.sourceforge.net/, but now
http://g95.sourceforge.net/ shall be integrated. Are these projects the same or
in what are these different? Why exists 2 projects g95 for gcc?

I watched this fork as an outside observer. I've been following the G95 saga for some time, given my personal interest in Fortran 95.

If you judge projects based on the spirit of "free" software, the "gcc-g95" project is clearly the "true" g95 implementation. The gcc-g95 project is a cooperative group effort aimed at integrating Fortran 95 into GCC; the original g95 project is one man's private project, tightly controlled, with limited access to source code and no aim of GCC integration.

Sometimes, forks are necessary. It is too bad the FSF continues to adhere to anti-forkism without recognizing what is best for the community as a whole. The gcc-g95 fork came about after much consideration and (in my perception) angst over "doing the right thing." In the end, the decision was made to do the right thing for the GCC community -- a fork.

I hope the FSF recognizes such dedication to the spirit of "free" software. The karma of the gcc-g95 maintainers outweighs the dogma of anti-forkism.

..Scott

--
Scott Robert Ladd
Professional programming for science and engineering;