Re: [tree-ssa] Insert on edge comment

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 20:14, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> On Fri, 30 May 2003 law@redhat.com wrote:

> >  >PRE will probably want to insert things on edge and commit them before
> >  >we are done with PHI nodes :-)  I suspect I'll need to add PHI node
> >  >updating as a flag to the commit routine.
> > Yea.  I haven't really thought about how hard the incremental update
> > will be.
>
> Well, PRE needs to see all the changes from an insertion immediately,
> especially because it's necessary to keep the ssa up to
> date and get strength reduction done properly.

Really? Doesn't that screw anything up when you insert on an edge and a
new basic block mystically appears?  Originally I was doing it on
demand, but the magic new basic blocks screwed up some algorithms that
looped through basic blocks.

> > The only nice property about PRE (at least those that I've worked on) is
> > that the stuff you're inserting on edges is straight-line code with no
> > control flow changes.
> We don't insert on edges almost ever.

really?  what about the "almost" :-)

anyway, as long as straightline code is being done its not much of a
deal. The multiple-commit routines are really wrappers around an
on-demand edge insertion routine.

We need a whole new family of routines for inserting flow. I have spent
some time thinking about them.

Andrew