OT: How do people set up long term development

I am wondering how people outside of Red Hat do long term development of
compiler tools when you can't check the machine specific sources into the FSF
repository until the NDA on the machine has been lifted?  The intention is that
when the chipset I am developing the GNU toolchain for is formally announced, I
will submit the files to the FSF for consideration of inclusion in the
releases, and non-machine specific changes that I make will be contributed as
they are written.

I can see three different development models:

1) Create my own CVS repository of a checked out releases, and check the files
   into there.  Every so often, I will do a merge from the FSF sources to my
   own repository.  This is how we did development at OSF, Cygnus, and Red Hat.
   The problem is doing the merge step, and there isn't a direct correlation
   between the versions in the master repository and my system.  If all of the
   tools had CVS tags for nightly snapshots, it would make things easier, but
   the bintuils directories don't seem to have snapshot tags.  This is the way
   I'm leaning, since it will allow me to work on two systems (desk system,
   laptop) and using cvs to do the update.

2) Doing the work in a live tree, possibly using a CVS repository to hold the
   newly created files with symlinks.  CVS update would do the merges
   automatically, but it is hairier to work with on a day to day basis.

3) I could imagine an alternative to #1 of downloading the rcs files from the
   repository to use as a starting base, instead of creating the files from
   scratch.  This may make the eventual merge easier, but intermediate merges
   may be more difficult.

--
Michael Meissner
email: gnu@the-meissners.org