Re: PROPOSAL: Variation on an Alternate policy for obsoleting targets

Joern Rennecke wrote:

> Bruce Korb wrote:
> > Would it be too much trouble to set an environment variable
> > and email in the resulting report file?  (Were it implemented.)

> [Would] the report be large?

It would contain one line for every fix that got triggered,
whether for one header or many headers.  Most platforms would
have under a dozen lines, plus some introductory overhead and
the config.guess output.  I could jigger it to include other
stuff for bug reporting, if that were considered useful.

>  If not, it might be useful to have
> it produced by default, for debugging purposes when something
> goes awry.
> And we could change the instructions how to report a
> successful build so that people just have to grab this file
> and mail it to a specified address.  Considering how hard it
> is for some people to report the output of config.guess (we've
> gotten some copies of config.guess instead) it might be safer to
> quote a filename of a file that is only generated by a build.

A build info file, of sorts.  Sure.  Define such a file and let
any part of the build add useful information, as long as the
size were kept "reasonable" and you figured out how to handle
parallel builds.