gcc 3.3 is not able to compile quakeforge cvs with cpuoptimization greater than pentium 1

I have been boggled by this problem for a long time, ever since the
prerelease of gcc 3.2.x, I was unable to compile quakeforge cvs with
optimization for my processor, a amd K6-III 400. Back then, as now, the
compiler would bomb out on sv_main.c with the following message:

gcc-3.3 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../include -I../../include
-I../../qw/include    -g -march=k6-3 -O3 -ffast-math -funroll-loops
-fomit-frame-pointer -fexpensive-optimizations -fstrict-aliasing -pipe
-Wall -Werror -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wmissing-declarations -fno-common -c `test -f 'sv_main.c' || echo
'./'`sv_main.c
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:4434: Error: value of ffffffffffffff7a too large for
field of 1 bytes at 0000000000001c89
make[2]: *** [sv_main.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/src/quakeforge/quakeforge/qw/source'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/quakeforge/quakeforge/qw'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Note that when I compile for a pentium 1, this problem does not happen
and the game works as expected. I have heard problem reports from other
people who also have experienced the same problem, and they have pentium
4's and athlons.

quakeforge's cvs is here:
:pserver:anonymous@taniwha.2y.net:/var/qfcvs

co the quakeforge module and you'll have the latest code.

First, bootstrap (./bootstrap in the quakeforge dir)
then run configure like this:
CC=gcc-3.3 ./configure --with-servers=qw --without-clients\
--with-arch=k6-3 --without-tools

and you'll experience the same problem trying to compile it I am. (I'm
only excluding tools and other things to make the compile run faster. If
you want to, compile the whole blasted thing.)

Note you can use --with-arch to manually change the cpu type you're
compiling for - normally configure would detect I have a pentium 1,
which isn't the case as I have a K6-III.

I have tested, and K6, K6-2, and K6-3 all have the same problem at that
point.

I've only held back on reporting this because I figured it had to be a
problem with either myself, (no) my computer, (no) or the code. As this
compiles just fine with gcc 2.95.3 *and* does so normally without cpu
optimization or with anything lower or equal to a pentium 1, I think
it's a compiler problem.

I don't know how much it will be a help to you, so I have not attached
sv_main.c to this message. If it would benefit you to have that file,
just ask and I'll send it right away.

I am using debian sid (unstable) with gcc -v reporting as such:
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.2.3/specs
Configured with: ../src/configure -v
--enable-languages=c,c++,java,f77,objc,ada --prefix=/usr
--mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/3.2 --enable-shared
--with-system-zlib --enable-nls --without-included-gettext
--enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-java-gc=boehm
--enable-objc-gc i386-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2.3

apt-cache show gcc-3.3 reports the version number of the package to be
1:3.3-0pre9

I'd love to help you stab this bug, if you can tell me whatever you
need, I'll be sure to send it along.

Timothy C. McGrath