Re: building a gcc-3.3-prerelease cross-compiler

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 06:54:23PM +0200, Rene Rebe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On: Mon, 12 May 2003 10:22:38 -0400,
>     Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com> wrote:
>
> [ ... error log ... ]
>
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > You can't build target libraries until after you've built glibc.
>
> Well nice that the cross-build instructions change between every major
> release (and sometimes between minors ...). What are the current
> instructions?

This is not a change.  It's always been true.  Now, maybe you were able
to get away with it before... I certainly couldn't, and I've been
building glibc before target libstdc++ since before GCC 2.95.

> (Is it intentional that the GCC install instructions point to the
> rather old "Version: 1.01, Last Updated December 3, 1999" CrossGCC/FAQ
> ? Maybe some more recent info should be included in the install
> document ...)

No one's got the combination of time, experience, and motivation to
write any.  I may for the 3.4 release, at which time it will be a heck
of a lot simpler.  Need to fix a bug in glibc's install_headers rule
first.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz