Re: Bug reporting instructions

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:

> > http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html#where mentions both GNATS and gcc-bugs. But
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/g77/Bug-Lists.html ,
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Bug-Lists.html and probably all the
> > others only mention gcc-bugs. Should this be updated?
>
> The second one is actually quite funny, since it mentions sending in bug
> reports on paper to the FSF :-) I think all these places should be updated
> to read like the first one, and the FSF address should go (clearly an
> outdated method; we might suggest using carrier pidgeons instead).
>
> Gerald, unless you do it over the weekend, I'll take care of it on Monday
> when I'm back in office. Just let me know.

The bulk of the residual parts of bugreport.texi should be merged into the
online documentation (where the information that is still useful isn't
already there - and some care must be taken to avoid the online
documentation getting too long) and replaced with just a link to the
online documentation (and maybe a note that this online documentation is
distributed with release tarballs (as both text and HTML), so people can
read it offline then submit bug reports offline with gccbug).

Much the same applies to the Fortran bug reporting documentation - which
is largely derived from an older, longer, version of the main GCC bug
reporting documentation - except that there may be some Fortran-specific
details to add to the online documentation.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk