Re: GCJ and $PREFIX/include

>The issue is that one may want to have gcc 3.1, 3.2.3, and 3.3-snapshot
>installed all at the same time.  With the positioning of the Java bits,
>they stomp on top of each other.

Yes, of course. I think there are actually a couple of things being
requested.

1) a plea for java to install include files in one, java-specific
directory instead of throwing everything into $prefix/include. In
particular, $(prefix)/include/java was mentioned, and sounds great to
me. This would help package maintainers do separate c/c++/java packages,
and clarify to people what goes where.

2) a plea for java to version their includes.

3) a plea to have --with-gxx-include-dir work for all languages, at
which point I suggested it being renamed --with-installed-include-dir
and java adding support for it.

>--with-gxx-include-dir is very important to the FreeBSD packages.  I use:
>
>    TARGLIB=         ${PREFIX}/lib/gcc-lib/${CONFIGURE_TARGET}/${GCC_REV}
>    CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --with-gxx-include-dir=${TARGLIB}/include/g++-v3
>
>with much joy.  Please do not remove it with out something that provides
>the same functionality.

As an FYI, please consider using

CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --with-gxx-include-dir=${TARGLIB}/include/c++

instead of

CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --with-gxx-include-dir=${TARGLIB}/include/g++-v3

as C++ library bug reports with "g++-v3" in the include line are almost
always representative of the v2 library and thus ignored or closed. It
would prevent confusion for the library maintainers if you would do
this one simple thing....

Did you see the parts of my message about DESTDIR? Do you realize you
can do something like:

make DESTDIR='${PREFIX}/lib/gcc-lib/${CONFIGURE_TARGET}/${GCC_REV}'

and all parts of the install (including java, from what I understand)
Will Just Work In The Correctly Specified Location? Agreed, this doesn't
do exactly what you want (which is to keep prefix/include clean, but as
you can see, we are attempting to clean it up....)

best,
benjamin