Re: GNAT and NPTL (3.3?)

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 12:58, Arnaud Charlet wrote:
> > Hi, to formally add support for NPTL in CVS, I assume
> > it is ok to use the existing GNAT thread package
> > selection mechanism, say: THREAD_KIND=nptl
> > when building gnatlib_and_tools. I chose
> > the letter 'j' (after 'i' used for linux now),
> > there's only one file to be added it is '5josinte.ads'.
>
> Actually 5j files are already used by jgnat, so another letter would be
> more appropriate.

Ok 5q then (if we need it).

> I am not convinced we need a new letter. As far as I could see from your
> patches, NPTL and linuxthreads are fully compatible (even though
> linuxthreads headers have changed between redhat 8 and redhat 9, which is
> a different issue), unless you've done your work on the linuxthreads
> headers.

Unless I misunderstood headers, pthread_cond_t changed its size
so unless we use the max size there will be a need for two targets.

> Anyway, I think having new files may not be needed.
>
> Now, if someone could clarify the situation on redhat 9 with linuxthreads and
> ntpl, that'd be very useful: how do they coexist ? what header files
> are used for which library, how does one switch from one to the others, ... ?

I assume using linuxthreads will soon be deprecated in the Linux world.

> All these questions need to be answered to properly consider nptl support, so
> this is the first step to do before adding new files.

I've CCed Ulrich Drepper, I'm unfortunately of no help on this
(the library selection mechanism seems quite complex on my
Red Hat 9 box).

--
Laurent Guerby <guerby at acm dot org>