mempcpy issue and cross compiling feedback

I can confirm that this patch:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-04/msg00538.html

Fixes the issue with the build failing due to not finding __mempcpy on
Cygwin/win2k as I reported in PR 10198 (now closed).  Also for the first time
for me in any of the 3.x series, with this patch I can easily build a cross
compiler without doing any backflips.  I don't suppose this could also be
applied to the 3.2 branch even though there won't be a new official release?

Previously what I did was setup a directory with symlinks to all the basic
needed programs such as ar, awk, basename, cat, chmod, ..., sed, sort, ... ,
yacc etc.  Then overwrite PATH with that directory as the only thing in it --
otherwise, during the build, it for some reason always seemed to bail out for
some reason or another and apparantly try to use the wrong tools.  Now just
prepending a path to a dir containing all cross-binutils stuff works, which
is what I've seen in written in lots of places as the way to do it.

One thing I've never been able to do except with 2.95 is get it to do the
"combined tree" build where (as far as I know) you can put binutils and glibc
in the build dir and it will somehow magically build everything and work it
all out.  That always fails with the same tool selection problem as above for
reasons I have no clue about.  Would love to figure out how to do it.